Fire and Smoke Damage Cleanup Tips
Home fires are among the most devastating disasters a property owner can experience. Once the flames have been extinguished, call the fire recovery specialists at Kelmann Restoration. We’ve been providing fire damage cleanup services to home and business owners throughout the Greater Milwaukee area and the rest of Wisconsin for several decades.
While you’re waiting for us to arrive, you’ll want to take a few precautions to ensure that the damage is kept to a minimum and that your family remains safe:
- Open all windows and doors so that your home can “air out.”
- Throw out any food packages that were directly exposed to the smoke.
- Clean chrome, aluminum, Formica, and porcelain surfaces to prevent permanent damage.
- Some of the more corrosive elements left behind by a fire can cause permanent damages if the cleanup process does not begin within a few hours of the disaster, so be sure to call Kelmann right away!
DO NOT do any of the following:
- Do NOT try to scrub smoke and soot residue off of walls. Improper cleaning technique can cause the residue to become ingrained into the surface.
- Do NOT touch walls, woodwork, or upholstery. Otherwise, the oil from your hands can cause the damage to worsen.
- Do NOT turn on any electrical appliances unless they have been thoroughly examined by an electrical expert.