The First 48 Hours: What to Do If Your Home Floods
The mere thought of a home flood is enough to make any homeowner sweat. Property floods can cause extensive damages to your home that require thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars to repair. A flood can disrupt your life for weeks or months while you attempt to clean up the mess.
Reduce Your Stress
Fortunately, there are a few basic things you can do to make the experience as stress-free as possible. One of the most important things you can do after a flood is to call a licensed professional as soon as possible. A qualified professional will have a lot of experience in water damage cleanup, and they will be able to save you money by making sure the damage is taken care of quickly and completely.
Flood Damage Tips
While you’re waiting for the professionals to arrive, here are a few basic rules you should follow to ensure that the damage is minimized and that your family remains safe:
- Do not enter the flooded area. The water may be carrying an electrical charge. It may also be hiding dangerous objects (such as broken glass or nails) and carrying dangerous contaminants that can make you sick.
- If you must enter the area for any reason, wear protective gear such as boots, long pants, and gloves.
- If possible, find the main water shutoff valve of your home and turn it off. If the flooding is caused by something in your home, this should help reduce or stop the flow of water.
- If it safe to do so, access the main electrical panel of your home and turn the electricity off.
- If the water level is still rising, move furniture, electronics, art, and other valuables in un-flooded but threatened areas of your home to higher ground.
- Do NOT use a household vacuum to try to suck up the flood water. This is ineffective and potentially extremely dangerous—at the very least, it will most likely ruin your vacuum.
Stay Safe After the Flood
By following these tips, you can ensure that damages caused by the flood are kept at a minimum. Once your Milwaukee flood cleanup professionals have arrived, they will take over the entire process to ensure your home is returned to normal.