5 Leading Causes of House Fires in Milwaukee

leading causes of house fires

According to the National Fire Protection Association, a fire department in the United States responds to a fire somewhere in the nation every 23 seconds. Fires can easily cause thousands of dollars worth of damage as well as result in severe injuries or fatalities. Knowing where and when fires are most likely to ignite can help you protect yourself, your family, and your Milwaukee home from tragedy.

House fires are a scary possibility, but by using a few preventative measures, you can considerably lower your risk. Here are 5 common causes of fires in a home:

1. Cooking Equipment

Kitchens are the heart of a home. It’s also the most common place where home structure fires and injuries occur. Most kitchen fires start when a homeowner leaves food cooking unsupervised on a stove or in an oven. That’s why it’s very important that you remain in the kitchen when cooking. Make sure that you always keep an eye on your stove, oven, and other appliances at all times.

Furthermore, always ensure that any combustible items remain far from the stove. If you cannot stay in the room the whole time, ask another adult in the family to watch over your food. It will also help to keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen in case of an emergency.

2. Heating Appliances

Heating equipment is the second leading cause of residential fires. Wisconsin is known to have chilly fall weather and an even colder winter season. If you plan to use a space heater in your home, be sure to keep it away from anything that could easily catch fire. This includes items such as curtains, clothing, blankets, and furniture.

Always follow the instructions on any heating device you use, and inspect it regularly to ensure it is in good condition. If you have a furnace, it should be inspected at least once a year to make sure it is performing according to safety standards.

3. Electrical Equipment

Electricity helps make our lives easier but there are times when we can take its power and its potential for fire-related hazards for granted. Malfunctioning electric outlets account for a large portion of household fires. Additionally, faulty or over-used appliances can easily cause a fire with just a few sparks.

Remember to always disconnect one appliance before plugging in another. We also recommend scheduling routine inspections to ensure your electrical system and lighting fixtures are up to code.

4. Candles

Who doesn’t love candles? They provide a lovely ambiance and fragrance, but candles can become a fire hazard if left unattended. Only set them on a sturdy, heat-resistant surface far away from upholstery, linens, and curtains. Additionally, always keep burning candles out of the reach of children and pets. Be sure to blow out a burning candle before leaving a room or going to sleep. This will reduce the chances of a lit candle tipping over and causing a fire.

5. Smoking

According to the National Fire Protection Association, fires from cigarettes and smoking materials cause nearly 600 deaths and over 1,100 injuries every year in the U.S. Lit cigarettes when accidentally dropped on any number of household items can quickly turn into a large fire. If you smoke, be sure to put out any lit butts fully and not just toss them. You can also improve your home’s safety by only smoking cigarettes outside as well as using wide, sturdy ashtrays to hold cigarette butts and ashes. 

6. Faulty Wiring

Generally speaking, homeowners don’t give much thought to their home’s wiring. However, faulty wiring is a potential way for a house fire to start. There are certain signs you can look out for that will indicate that your house’s wiring isn’t working correctly. For example, if your lights dim when you use an appliance, it’s likely an indication that you should have your wiring checked out by a professional electrician. 

Kelmann Restoration is Your Partner in Fire Damage Recovery

We hope that you won’t have to deal with the experience of a house fire of any size. But in the unfortunate event that a fire does occur, Kelmann Restoration is ready to help you through the fire restoration process. Our unique approach to fire damage restoration, coupled with our close partnerships with insurance companies, ensures that your home will be restored to its former condition as soon and as safely as possible. Together, we’ll ensure that your home receives the attention and care it deserves. 

For more information about our processes and services, contact our friendly professionals at Kelmann Restorations today. The team members at our New Berlin and Wauwatosa locations are ready to assist you any way they can!

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x