5 Signs You’re Sure to Have a House Fire

ruins of a house fire

A house fire is often an unexpected and life changing event. Even a small and quickly controlled fire can cause thousands of dollars in damage to your home. Often these fires could have been prevented if homeowners took a few preliminary steps to protect their home. Check out these 5 things that increase your chances of a fire in your home and take the steps necessary to eliminate these dangers, more effectively preventing a fire.


No Smoke Alarm

Untitled design (10)

A smoke alarm can help notify you to a fire in the home, giving you those precious few extra minutes you need to get yourself and your family out. Install and ensure your smoke alarm is in proper working condition. Do regular checks that it is still functioning properly.



Your Electricity Isn’t Grounded

As technology advances, more and more appliances are three pronged. You need to do more than just change the outlet itself, but your entire electricity system. If you live in an older home, there’s a good chance the electricity has not been grounded. This helps to pass excess electrical currents to the ground, rather than through your appliances. Make this switch to not only lengthen the life of your appliances, but to prevent against fires as well.


You’ve Never Cleaned the Dryer Vent

washer and dryer

In addition to cleaning out the lint trap, you need to clean out the dryer vent on a regular basis. Over time lint will build up in the vent. This along with the extreme heat necessary when drying your clothes can cause a fire. If necessary, call a professional to thoroughly clean the vent.


Overloading the Circuits

An overloaded circuit can cause problems, sometimes leading to a house fire. Instead of continually flipping the circuit breaker, identify if there is a way you can move some of the appliances so the one circuit is not working so hard. In addition to this, avoid plugging too many things into one outlet to prevent fires.


There’s a Buildup of Grease on Your Appliances

Untitled design (11)

Grease fires are some of the most common kitchen fires. In addition to this, they are very difficult to put out. Never use water to try and stop a grease fire as this will only cause the damage to spread. To reduce the chance of grease fires, keep your oven and stove clean.
Avoid a house fire by avoiding these all too common problems in the home. Making the changes now will be much easier than dealing with a full on fire damage repair project down the road.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x