Common Causes of Winter Water Damage in Milwaukee
Winter water damage in Milwaukee is a common headache for home and business owners alike. The heavy snowfalls and regular fluctuations in temperatures mean a lot of melted snow which turns into water that has nowhere to go. However, though it’s a regular occurrence, many Milwaukee residents have little awareness regarding what winter water damage entails. Keep reading to learn the most common causes, signs you may need repairs, and how you can take preventative measures against winter water damage in Milwaukee.
Most Common Causes
Winter water damage is the result of water intruding in areas where it was never meant to. This is where the difficulty comes in because the property affected was never anticipated to be touched by water in the first place. Winter water damage can be divided up into a few different categories. It can be as simple as a few drops of water or catastrophic damage from large amounts of flooding. If drops of water slowly drip onto a wooden floor for a long period of time, damage will accrue. Awareness of how this might happen can help you better protect your property from water. The most common causes we tend to see here in Milwaukee are:
This is one we see quite a lot in Milwaukee homes along with the surrounding area. Pipes can start to leak for many reasons, including:
- Drastic temperature change.
- Poor workmanship and repairs.
- Unregulated water pressure.
- Clogs ranging from hair and toilet paper to children’s toys.
- Rust from aging or overexposure to moisture over time.
As briefly mentioned above, when large amounts of snow melts all at once it can cause flooding and travel to spots it isn’t welcome. Common damages that occur in Milwaukee from snow melts include:
- Melted snow that travels down driveways and into basements.
- Ice that works its way into crevices of homes and then melts, making its way into various openings.
- Snow on the roof that clogs up gutters that then melt and turns into mold and mildews.
Another common cause of water damage occurring within a residence or business is by way of a leaky roof. This is often the result of:
- Clogged gutters.
- Ice build-up/ Ice Dams
- Broken or missing roof shingles.
- Or cracked chimneys.
Tips for Avoiding Winter Water Damage in Milwaukee
There are a lot of preventative measures you can take to protect your property from winter water damage in Milwaukee. They aren’t always guaranteed to work completely, but can help you save a lot of money in the long run. By preparing as much as possible for any potential occurrence, you can avoid damages or minimize their effect so restoration services don’t get too pricey. Actions you can take include:
- Ensure that missing or broken roof shingles are replaced as soon as they’re noticed.
- Keep gutters cleared of all debris.
- Shovel as much of the snow away from your foundation as possible.
- Remove heavy snow buildup from your roof and gutters.
- Invest in good sump pumps and test them at least once a year.
- Clear all drainage areas of snow.
- Seal any cracks found on the foundation.
- Make sure gutters are in good working condition and pointed away from the foundation.
- Always make sure the ground around the house is graded properly, away from the foundation.
We Provide Milwaukee Water Damage Restoration
Kelmann Restoration provides restoration services for winter water damage in Milwaukee. In fact, we have you covered all year long! Reach out to us anytime you require:
- Water, flood, and sewage damage restoration.
- Fire and smoke damage recovery.
- Wind and storm damage recovery.
- Mold remediation.
- Remodeling and renovation assistance.
- Along with any restoration services needed during an emergency.
Give us a call to inquire about our restoration services and learn more about how we can help you out today!